Know What’s Required to Keep Your Vehicle on the Road
Automotive maintenance is necessary – if you don’t follow the right maintenance schedule, your car won’t last very long. However, it’s important to understand that maintenance implies much more than just having your car’s oil changed every 3,000 miles or having the occasional tire rotation.
Factory maintenance requirements vary considerably from one automaker to another and it’s important that you find a reputable mechanic shop in Weston, Florida, that offers factory maintenance services on both domestic and import models.
A Look at Factory Maintenance Services
As mentioned, automotive maintenance spans more than just oil changes and tire rotations. Factory maintenance (also known as scheduled major service) can cover a range of other things. These can include the following:
- Transmission Service – Transmission fluid must be changed on a specific schedule, often every 30,000 miles, but this varies from one automaker to another.
- Differential Service – Differential fluid should be changed every 15,000 miles, or more frequently for hard use situations.
- Cabin Filters – Cabin filter change is often included in 30,000, 60,000 and 90,000-mile scheduled maintenance.
- Fuel Filter Change – Fuel filter changes are required on an OEM-specific schedule that usually coincides with major scheduled services.
- Timing Belt and Water Pump – Depending on your make and model, you’ll need to have your timing belt and water pump replaced somewhere between 90,000 and 120,000 miles.
- Brake Fluid Flush – Flushing and filling your brake system ensures that old, worn out fluid is removed and that the system remains in good operating condition.
- Sparkplugs and Wires – While tune-ups are largely a thing of the past, you’ll still need to have your sparkplugs and wires changed according to your automaker’s recommendation.
- Coolant System Flush – Your car’s coolant needs to be replaced periodically, roughly once every five years or so, though you should follow your mechanic’s recommendations here.
These are only a few examples of the various factory services necessary to keep your vehicle in good condition.